Wednesday 14 September 2011

Become English (3) muddle what you really mean

I find it frustrated when I talk with my colleagues and clients a while to realise that when the English say “oh really how interesting!” does not necessarily mean interesting. Sometimes their facial expression obviously shows that they might well mean ‘I don’t believe a word of it, you lying toad.’ Or they might not. They might just mean ‘I’m bored and not really listening but trying to be polite’. Or they might be genuinely surprised and truly interested. You will never know. There is no way of telling: even the English themselves who have a pretty good sixth sense for detecting irony, cannot always be entirely sure. And this is the problem with then English irony-habit.

Then I know that English have a pretty good sixth sense for detecting irony, but please teach me since I have problems with the English irony habit on my way of becoming English. Sometimes English do say what they mean but the constant use of irony is a bit like crying wolf, when I do mean what I say, my audience seem not very surprised as they should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment