Wednesday 14 September 2011

Become English (2) My experience in taking buses

Once I took the bus to my friend's place. When the bus came into a full stop, some passengers reluctantly move their bottom away from the chairs and walk peacefully towards the door. I doubt the comfort degree of the bus chair is far less than sofa at home but it seems that they took every second to lengthen their journey time. I used to live in a country where without fully preparation by moving yourself as close as possible to the door as early as possible, you will be able to miss the last chance to get off the bus and the next stop could be an extra travel by walking all the way back.

But I don’t understand why the bus driver ignore me when once I forget to wave to show that I really want to take that bus. I was obsessed with reading newspaper. Am I not 'big' enough to be spotted out? In a city where I grew up, the bus has to stop every stop so no chance to miss getting on board- unless so many want to get on and there is no space left for you. If it happen, some people may step their foot on the bus so they cease the bus from leaving. The passengers on the bus have to accompany him to wait for the next bus coming.

Anecdote: my friend who just came to London last week. We agreed to meet at the overground station but he was late. It is not because he got up late or any usual traffic jam but just because he did not know that one has to press the open button to open the door. When he realised this the train slowly moved away from the platform.

As an English you will NEVER have a chance to miss your opportunity to get off the train like this because it has become your natural habit, unconsciously written in your blood, that to press the button in order to open the door of the train.

Lucky we foreigners!

No comments:

Post a Comment