Sunday 11 July 2010

diary for my final project(2)

My story becomes much clearer after more than five times watching my footage of all interviews.

Every interview lasts no more than 40mins. I cut them into pieces to frame a story. During the process, I always got lost. I played the video back and forth only to find their footage have to be "formatted".

Although I have carefully prepared my questions, the interviewees would not follow my questions all the time. Sometimes they would turn my question to a way they like. Obviously I am not the kind of journalists who chase the interviewees without caring their feelings. For me I understand it is important to get the story but still I believe my interviewee is a human being and I have to put his feeling into priority. I will never ask the same silly question that a journalist asked a child "what is your feeling when you know you lost your parents during the earthquake".

After two weeks in a row doing the interviews from Brixton in south London to Tottam Hatch Lane in North London, I did not feel any relief. I know that more work are there waiting for me.

I did the story about black British Media. I think more about Chinese Media here, though.

Black Britons have established many platforms to express themselves, produce programmes for their community. Chinese community here has not yet established any TV station or radio station. I know there is a language difficulty. Maybe black Britons suffered too much before achieving their stage. I don't imply any racial issue when I say this. As ethnic minority in Britain, I can not stop thinking to create my own media. When I was in China, I was the majority. I interned for national media and the government.

I have no idea on minority.

I cannot say I have it yet.

The more I know, the quieter I am. I choose to listen and see more. The mistakes the Black British Media made, the challenges they are facing, the success they achieved...I walked back the road they have already walked through by listening to their stories and talking with them.

There is no simple English sentence to conclude it. In Chinese I would say "yi yan nan jin".

Last two weeks, I spent day and night-I wish the library open 24 hours-thinking my story, my video and my articles. I have been enjoying doing this. It is like I live another life by creating a story. I have no pains in doing this.

Creative things take time. I do not mind if I could finally get my degree or not because I do what I want to do. For myself not for the sake of my tutor or a degree certificate-that is just a piece of paper, isn't it?

My friends reminded me that I had not kept in touch with them as often as I did. My cousin complained that I did not call back home for a long time. Also I know that it has been even longer that I wrote my article. I devote myself to many things for the last half year.

But I feel there is no ending for work. No ending for improvement in terms of work and study. It is a matter of choice that which one I want.

What is the point of life?
Today I say that it is to realise my value.

And I am following this now.

My website basic design is done and thank you, Deming.

My story has a clue.

I will have another two weeks to polish it.

And looking forwards to, my dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment