Monday 21 December 2009

A sentence makes me thinking


I am reading the NUJ’s code of conduct which has set out the main principles of British and Irish journalism since 1936 when a line of words jump into my eyes:
……





A good will, I think.

I am a Chinese journalist-to-be. Maybe in the context of China, it will be even harder to realise this. However, I never believe it is possible to come true here, in UK.



As a human being, nobody can avoid being influenced by his environment. As a media organization, so far there has not been any can stand out claiming that they are fully free from pressures of both the market place and the government.

The outside world is so powerful that everyone has to adjust himself to fit in. The human nature of not being isolated from the majority has taken an important role to ruin the journalists’ objectiveness.



According to psychological studies, people tend to select information to form their own “fact”. The individual opinion has already shaped the “fact”. A thousand of individuals will have a thousand “facts” based on their knowledge, education background, family etc.

I believe that bias is one of the things that we can never get rid of no matter how hard you try. It is such kind of human nature that makes a person a person- no doubt a journalist is a person. Everyone behaves in a way that believes is right.




At this point I can not believe that differences among fact and opinion can be identified.






Still the NUJ puts this norm to the code of conduct is not losing its value. In terms of media I hope every journalist respects the truth and has the capability to differentiate the fact and opinion. In this way we will not go too far from the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment