Wednesday 14 April 2010

Music talks

Nana Dankwa is not just a singer: he is a musician. Music to him is a like a religion and way of life. He makes a mixture of all kinds of genres, a fresh new sound best described as Afrolectricfunk. Music inspired by Africa and an electronic dash of P-Funk.
People appreciate commercial things more than real music. I do not want to be treated that way. I do not consume music like a microwave meal. Music to me is an extension of my soul its all about nature and love.

Nana came from a small town of Ghana in West Africa and spent most of his childhood in East Africa, a land full of nature and love.

“That peaceful place, is where I was born; that is where my music and I originally grew, with love, with nature.”

Nana is unsigned.

“If you want to do music, you cannot burden yourself with other concerns apart from being honest to yourself and follow your heart,” he told me.
Idealism is hard, in this money-hungry society.
Nana spent time producing hip-hop music to fit in with the current trend. And he succeeded.

Then one day he woke up. Overwhelmed by a strong feeling of emptiness. Realising what he was doing was unfulfilling, he decided to suspend his musical career.

During this break from his artform, he picked up on listening to the music he knew in his childhood, such as Hi-life from Ghana to George Clinton's P-Funk. Like a ray of sunshine a new passion in rock and electronic music burned in him.

He mentioned to me that “going back to square one" was the best thing he ever did. Spending time in his continent he returned to his root - express yourself through music. The way it used to be back in the days when African people used music to communicate with each other, to spread the message of peace, love and unity.

“We used to sing each other stories," Nana explains. "That is what I want to do with my music.... Expect the unexpected!” he laughed.
Check out Nana D’s debut album 'Blame It On The Album' released in late 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment