Monday 30 November 2009

From our own correspondent: I am in London!

I know that you might have already visited the UK and hundreds of words for this country may come into your mind. But just let me describe my very first time to be exposed to a totally new country after living in Chinese way for twenty years.



I study in the University of Westminster, located a little bit far from central London. The falling leaves are seen everywhere on the campus. Such scenic pictures are astonishing for me because I live in many cities in China for twenty years. We do not have such colourful scene in the cities partly because Chinese people believe this piece of land could be better used if it is cultivated for agricultural purpose. Maybe it is this peaceful view everywhere that makes Londoners have a relatively gentle temper.



After the first busy week of study, I went to the central London. I then gained my first impression on London’s tube.



The first shock was the metropolitan line closed on the weekend. How come? The tube, a public vehicle, is supposed to service people especially on weekends. Unlike the working people, we students do not have a private car and the only time for us to visit London is the weekends. So far I do not understand why they choose to close the public tube on certain days rather than mend it during the night.



It took me half an hour extra to get the destination. When I came out the station, the second shock came. My new oyster card balance showed that I used two pounds and twenty pence for my single journey- ten times as much as in China. I understand that the cost of living will be higher than in my country but it should not be that expensive. Personally speaking, the public transport is supposed to be cheap thus encouraging common people to use it instead of private cars.



When in Rome do as Romans do. I bear this saying in mind and chose a very British food, fish and chips. Back to my middle school age, I red a passage talking about the traditional food in the UK, fish and chips. They failed to mention this is un-healthy food- comparing with Chinese food, and the boring taste- not fresh fish and to many blanking potatoes, but only said it was a popular take-away food- it seems untrue because more Londoners choose other take-away food. What’s interesting is that many more Chinese restaurants here offer this British dish than the British ones.



Also many articles about the UK keep mentioning the Londoners are cold. I did not feel that because every time I get lost on the street, there is always some one who would like to stop and help me. Although it seems that not everybody has a good sense of direction, I do feel quite well because I am treated in a friendly way here.

No comments:

Post a Comment